Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sorry! Heres a short note about Rome

Well this blog is very over due.

I feel so lucky to be here I want to start my note today with this. I feel lucky that my parents never tamped down my hopes and desires to walk the great walks of this world.

I feel like fitting Rome into to one note would be under representing it. So I may return sentimentally to this subject in a later note... Rome. The stories my dad has been telling me about the ancient city were I nice foundation to see modern Rome. Flying into Rome, the country side is beautiful, the OCEAN was light BLUE!!! The country side had soft greens trees and yellow grasses like a Van Gogh painting. The airport has this warmth inside it just teasing you to leave and enjoy Italy, but you must stand and wait for your luggage one of the MANY luggage runways! People impressions: Italian men dress very well, even uniformed men (bus drivers etc).

First the motorcycle drivers are crazy, second the taxi drivers are crazy, third the bus drivers are calm and extremely accurate. These three things were my first impressions driving into city center. City center food: this pizza thing is totally everywhere. I wonder if aliens land only in Rome they will think thats all humans eat. Oh yes and Gellato, gellati! Its seriously on all corners, some really good and some okay, but its still a great way to cool off. Toast sandwiches are big 5x5 inch white bread with turkey and cheese and its toasted on a panini, pizza sandwiches are salami & cheese (thats it). The food prices are very decent if you go to little shops that don't have sit down space. Food is not so decent around big touristy spots like the Colosseum. Hotel impressions: okay lower your standards for your stay in rome or spend a shameless amount of money to be barely satisfied. Our first hotel was almost 40 mins bus ride to center, but it was decent, and bussed us for free. Public water, tap, fountain: GREAT! Especially the fountains all along the walk to the Colosseum & the Spanish Steps, its cold and crisp! Bring your empties!! Beggars: yes, its a city of 5 million so it has its range of sad humans in need.

Transportation: YES I took the subway, called Metro. Its not a complicated system. It is a choice for the young tourist or the everyday roman workforce. Its gritty but in a silly romantic way, it has musicians playing at the busiest locations, the echo of the music just made me want to video the scene. The last metro we took was home from the Sistine Chapel and a violinist played vivaldi on the the train itself, OH can I just tell you I was trying to stop the tears of utter joy. I am tearing up now. Jeff was there for that trip so I have validation that it actually happened. Politeness of the general downtown population: kind and quiet. Everyone seems pretty easy going. Even the nutty driving, doesn't seem to tense the general population.

Okay this moment is brought to a close by the sweet musings between me and a 5 year old. Again, he has been successful in sucking the Rome memories from me. Oh well I did type out a bit of my fun time. Next installment will be about is new Norsk friends! Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment