Friday, November 18, 2011

Doctor Visit...

So I have been allergy suffering for the past 4 days now. I have a date with brown eyed man tomorrow. I figured it would more appetizing to go out to dinner with a girl that can breath through nose properly etc. Also the paler than usual isn't pretty. I realized this morning that when my chest hurts this bad I usually have an infection, woo hoo. So I got my papers out for our Fastlege info, or GP. Johannessen was on the bottom of the page this is all I could read on it other than the address and my name. I called them at 955 and they were able to get me in at 1045. The receptionist said be here at 1045 cause we close early touday (its how she sounded) I asked if I need to bring in any info she said no and promptly hung up on me. So I walked the 10 minute walk down there wondering if it would be anything like my drs appointments in the US. I go in for this sinus/sore throat thing twice a year so I am used to it. Sometimes they like to take blood to see if 'anything else' is going on (I see a DO so he is thorough). I hope I am prepared for the blood work, I hate it, especially the finger prick I would rather you take it out of my cheek with a iv than prick me. I have small fingers. Also in getting ready to see the doctor I tried to look my best since I don't know any of the souls from Adam. I mean I look like a zombie all week so I had under an hour to brighten up. I even wore a short sleeved shirt knowing they would check my blood pressure. Well I even wore easy to take off shoes for being weighed.

So I get to the office after hoofing it up three flights of stairs. If I had know I might have taken the elevator. My heart was racing by the time I get up there. The office has no window for you to sign in or be greeted by a sweet teenager who sees everything on your chart and knows how you pay for the visit. I finally assume I am to sit and wait to be called upon. 10 minutes of sitting did not win one single angry bird three stars. Heart is almost settled and a young man mumbles my name in a Norwegian way. Then I hear Aangle-a. So I go with him and he shows me to his office. He introduces himself. Allergy brain me doesn't hear it but I shake his hand say hi in my most American way so he knows I don't speak Norsk. Also-- he is the first doctor I have been to personally that is younger than me... Max had an ENT that looked in his 20's. And he wore sneakers, jeans and a long sleeved teeshirt. So I felt like he was dressed to work at a coffee shop. Oh well I really don't mind the casual part. The age part- that is a mental 'growing older' problem I have to get over. Then he asks me in norwegian what the problem is. Blah blah blah later. I don't fill out any forms. He asks me no patient history questions. No tests, weight, what medicine are you on right now. Do you have any life threatening illnesses. Only personal thing he asks is did I move to his practise from another (this is my translation). I say no first time a dr here in norway. I also told him I had asthma but he didn't catch that one until after I mentioned my inhaler. Then he asked me about asthma. I guess all my blah was too much for him so he said- so what is the main problem. I said nose and my chest/throat. So he suggested nose spray. I guess that chest will heal on its own...I think to myself. He said that when you have symptom free asthma an infection can pop up and cause all this. Yes he is right. You know I just remembered he didn't ask me about fever either. I guess he is going to let my body work out that infection. Most doctors give me the awe inspiring Zpack. Its wonderful. I was kinda at loss after he started printing out the script then he asked how would you like to pay, credit card? So ofcourse his little card machine outside his office door doesn't take cards with No Chip. So I paid with cash, no receipt. I did get a quick bye from him as he dashed to his office. Took the bus downtown to the only pharmacy I know of. I sat waiting for the bus in the bus shelter and I got a dirty look from an older lady... thanks. I figured she was looking on me dismally cause I was sitting and usually the bench is for oldies. There was room for 3 other dismal angry old people. Then a guy who didn't give me a dirty look came up and stood next to me lit a cigarette then sat down. Gosh I hate being rude and moving but really I just can't breath well dude. He was black and this doesn't both me at all but more people in Norway are funny about color. Our relocation lady's husband is black and has had the cops called on him before when he was trying to break into his own home (locked out).

Anyway back to downtown pharmacy. Got my ticket at the door. Pharmacies here don't have fun stuff really like pharmacies do in US. I did see some bath colors for kids. They have pricey bandaids, breast milk pumps and old people. I was worried I needed my national id number or they wouldn't take my card without CHIP. My number got called and I gave her my printout and she followed with no words for 3 minutes typing info into computer. I twice reminded myself to bend my knees I didn't want to do that freeze fainting thing. Did I say I am having a hard time breathing? I was irritated fully by now. I should have manned up and asked for something to fight the infection off with. LONG 3 minutes later she told me they were out of the nose 'drip'. Well first she told me in Norwegian, then I smiled and said 'sorry I only speak English'. So they have the spray but no drip. First of all I don't like correcting people so I went along with it, secondly I wouldn't do the drip want the medicine UP in my nose. She said can order the drip. I said well I prefer the spray anyway. Then she had to get two people involved with the substitution. Then the pharmacist asked me about it all. She said she would call the DR for the change. I told them they close at noon so they should hurry. Luckily my dr was still there and said he miss entered the script. Wow I feel so much better now that my new dr miss enters a script. Its like going to an amusement park in a foreign country. So script in bag, I head home with hopes of feeling better and thoughts of irony.

So this is social medicine, warm fuzzies.

No comments:

Post a Comment